Saturday, 13 October 2012

Geek. Cross-Stitcher. Person with Disabilities.

So, this blog thing has been something I've been thinking about for a while now.  Not because I have a hugely interesting life.  I don't.  It's more that I have a '"if you don't laugh you'll cry" and "that could only happen to you" kind of life.

Now, while I don't want to label my entire life into neat little boxes, do you see my header up there, keep looking up, a bit more, yep that one there - the description there fairly accurately describes the important parts of my life, or at least important enough to blog about (although I do always reserve the right to post cute puppy pictures or last nights dinner).



I've always been a geek, or at least as long as I can remember anyway.  I think my geekiness was formally solidified when I was 12 or 13 and I saw the first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I had never loved a TV series as much and probably never will again (although Game of Thrones probably comes close).  It was my first geek love.  The first flushes of geek romance have matured over the years into a fully fledged love affair with the entire Whedonverse. 

The name of this blog (and my Etsy shop) is a reference to Firefly/Serenity.  Goram is kind of a made up expletive which I've always taken to mean "God Damn", so basically "God Damn Stitches".

Other than the Whedonverse, other geeky interests include George RR Martins 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series and the associated TV show, comic books, science (I have a degree in Biology), and an unnatural love of spreadsheets.


Okay, cards fully on the table here - the thing that tipped me over the edge into blogdom was the fact that I've recently set up an Etsy shop selling cross-stitch and having a blog is good marketing.  Hopefully I get points for being honest?  I don't plan on using this for full on BUY ALL THE THINGS marketing.  I do plan on mentioning what I'm currently working on, things I'm thinking about working on, experiences I have running my shop etc.  

I started cross-stitching about two years ago.  I think at that point I had tried every craft going and didn't find a craft that I felt I could fully express myself with until I found cross stitch.  I very quickly set about cross-stitching the geekiest things I could think of and the Etsy shop was a result of really not needing a house full of cross-stitch.



This one kind of relates back to the "you have to laugh or you'll cry"/""this could only happen to you" thing I mentioned in my intro.  I'm not a fan of seeing people on the internet who list their illnesses almost as a badge of honour to go along with their 'woe is me' posts, but I suppose it is important for context, so here's my lovely list - Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Hypertension.  Again for the purposes of context - I'm 26.  I'm not going to ramble too much about the details, I'll probably go into it in future posts.  The reason I think it's important to give myself this 'label' is that disability awareness and invisible illness awareness in particular is a 'hot button' issue for me and something that can send me off into a rant at any moment.  I'm sure this will become apparent as you get to know me better.

Wow, kudos to you if you managed to get through that giant wall of text!

Please leave me comments with any questions, suggestions, requests for posts etc (or just to say hello!).

Lels.


1 comment: