Friday, 2 November 2012

Confessions of a Chronic Pill Popper



To anyone passing me in the street I look like your average twenty something woman. The truth is that I don't go anywhere without a bag of drugs.  It comes to bed with me, it comes on driving lessons with me, it goes on quick trips to the shops with me.  Everywhere.

It looks like this:
Now to be fair it's only half filled with drugs, the other compartment is filled with the usual girly things that a normal woman carries around.  This is my third drug bag (as it's affectionately known), and it has probably doubled in size each time I've needed a new one.  Why?

This.

First I got arthritis, and needed to carry all the drugs associated with that. 
Then I was diagnosed with hypertension and needed to carry all the drugs associated with that.  
Then I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and needed to carry all the drugs associated with that.

In the interests of my sanity I've never actually counted how many pills I pop every day, but I'm going to have a crack at it (don't you feel so privileged!).

Arthritis drugs:
  • Co-codamol - between 4 and 8 per day.
  • Tramadol - between 2 and 8 (worst day ever) per day.
Hypertension drugs:
  • Ramipril - 1 per day.
  • Amlodipine - 1 per day.
Fibromyalgia drugs:
  • Pregabalin - 6 per day.
  • Nortriptyline - 4 per day.
Anti-Baby Drugs (also a requirement of the hypertension drugs I'm on)
  • Cerazette - 1 per day

*anti-climactic drum roll*

Best day ever total = 19 pills
Worst day ever total = 29 pills

I'd say most days probably lie somewhere in the middle of the two. Also how depressing is it that I can't imagine a day where I'm not in pain and my 'best day ever' total still involves taking painkillers?

By the way - yes, I must rattle, ha ha ha.  Very clever.  Not.

Hey - I'm all up in your social medias!  Come follow me!  My facebook is on the right hand side of the page and I'm on twitter and instagram as @goramstitches.





3 comments:

  1. I have arthritis and i need new hips at the moment im loosing weight waiting for my right hip to be done & on strong painkillers and other tablets and also the doctors are sure i have fibromalgia. Im also feeling tad depressed with it all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My rheumatologist is fairly sure that the arthritis caused the fibro, so that would annoyingly make sense! I try to stop myself from going insane by laughing about it, you have to laugh or you would cry!

    Feel free to email me if you want to chat about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I had hip replacement surgery in August 2011 and I'm very pleased with it. Let me know if you have any questions!

    Lels: I'm in a similar boat as you. I take an assortment of 'magic beans' as well (for lupus). At one point I was taking up to 25 pills a day! It's not so bad nowadays....maybe 15? Ugh. You gotta do what you gotta do...

    ReplyDelete