Saturday, 10 November 2012

Only You Can Prevent Puncture Wounds.

Hi everyone,

This post is probably going to be a bit all over the place, there's just a lot of little things I want to talk about with no real links between any of them.  Sorry.


I recently purchased PC Stitch 10 which is a cross-stitch pattern making software.  Before this I was just using graph paper and coloured pencils like some kind of amateur.  Now that some mental people have decided to start paying for my cross-stitching services, I thought I was due an upgrade.  I posted this picture on Instagram after having a play around with it one night:
Went a bit overboard on the sparklies, because I'm new to Instagram and I'm trying to fit in with the cool kids (never going to happen).  I'm still feeling a bit baffled by PC Stitch as it's actually a lot more sophisticated than I was expecting, but I managed to draw out this pattern in about ten minutes which is a vast improvement on my pencil and paper efforts.  It doesn't help my inability to spend less than an hour picking out the perfect font before stitching anything.  I have a font choosing problem.  

Side note - my sister will probably kill me for this but a small part of me died when I found out she had handed in her dissertation using Comic Sans.  Died.

Another recent-ish stitching related purchase was some new embroidery scissors.  The scissors are great, but you know, not very interesting, what is interesting is the chain/holder thingy that came with them that is apparently called a 'chatelaine'.  It looks like this and it's how you can tell if I'm on 'cross-stitch duty' or not:
This was one of those 'I-didn't-know-I-needed-it-but-now-I-can't-live-without-it' type purchases. It's stopped me losing my scissors constantly (and I mean constantly) and only finding them when I (or more frequently my boyfriend) stepped on them.  I love this quote from the wiki page on chatelaines:
The name chatelaine derives from the French term ch√Ętelaine and was originally used disparagingly, as it referred to a device designed to have all the tools necessary for the woman of the household to sort out any problem she may encounter in her day, like a fraying curtain.

Now if only I could find something to stop me losing my needles and there will be much fewer puncture wounds around here.

I wish I was kidding.


There are a few local businesses/people that I wanted to mention.  The first is an 'independant bakeshop and cafe' called T Ann Cake.  I've been there a few times now and its just so cosy and welcoming. It feels like the kind of place that I could pop along to, on my own, get out my cross stitch stuff, and nobody would bat an eyelid. The decor is quirky and has lots of crafty bits and pieces on the walls.  The last time I was in I had a soya latte and pea and potato soup, both of which were delicious:


Check out the adorable 'at-your-grannies-for-tea' crockery and the heart 'latte art'.  The menu for T Ann Cake changes daily and Ann (the owner) posts it on Facebook at stupid o clock each morning when she gets up to start the baking.  As well as providing soy milk, every time I have been in there has been at least one item on the menu marked as vegan, and there is a vegan chocolate cake which they only seem to make on days when I can't make it in.

The other local thing I wanted to mention is Dundee's very own street style blog - Delta Street Style.  It's written and photographed by Christina Lindsay Miller who is a freelance style writer who writes for many publications such as the Huffington Post, Grazia, Vogue etc.  Christina takes her camera out and about in Dundee looking for stylish people in the City of Discovery.  I'm sure it's not her intention, but since finding Christina's blog it's made me think twice about just nipping into town with a hoodie on and not having brushed my hair.  Now I might put some lipstick on.

Scary fact - I moved to Dundee when I was 17 for uni and I turn 27 next week.  I love living in Dundee, but that was a quick ten years!  Speaking of my birthday - I've booked myself a swedish massage and deep cleansing facial at The Apex for my birthday (because I'm worth it).  Cannot wait.

This was the worlds rambliest post and I didn't actually think I had anything to say!




No comments:

Post a Comment